Reports to: President & CEO
Role and Responsibilities:
The Vice President – Workforce & Economic Development plays a vital role at the center of regional efforts to cultivate economic growth and shared prosperity. Leading the Chamber’s work in education & workforce and economic development, the incumbent collaborates with members, partners and other stakeholders to connect employers to educators, meet current and future workforce needs in key industries, and advance regional economic development priorities.
Workforce & Education
- Coordinate and support the ongoing efforts of the Chamber’s Education Committee/Business Advisory Council to strengthen connections between employers and educators to meet current and future workforce needs.
- Identify opportunities to launch new Industry Sector Partnerships in key industries, collaborating with state and national entities, including the Ohio Manufacturers Association and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, and regional employers.
- Sustain and grow the Stark County Manufacturing Workforce Development Partnership (SCMWDP) and related programming, creating talent pipelines to address current and future workforce needs. Oversee the work of the SCMWDP project manager.
- Connect underserved and underrepresented segments of our local community to career-development and growth opportunities enabling them to earn a living wage.
- Collaborate with regional partners, including Junior Achievement, Stark County Community Action Agency, Stark County Minority Business Association, Urban League, Stark Educational Partnership, Strengthening Stark and others, to develop innovative workforce development programs and initiatives.
- Ensure the long-term financial sustainability of Chamber initiatives and programs.
- Manage and develop the talent of project managers, administrative assistants and interns assigned to the department.
- Design and implement economic development strategies and tactics intended to generate new investment, business attraction & retention, and member success, contributing to regional economic growth.
- Responsible, with the CEO, for oversight, management and development of Chamber investments in two industrial parks – Foundation Business Park and Mills Business Park – promoting new investment and job creation in the Canton/Stark County region.
- Collaborate closely with local, state and federal government entities and other regional economic development organizations to advance projects intended to drive economic growth and community prosperity.
- Work closely with the City of Canton to ensure effective execution of the Chamber’s contract with the City on downtown events and economic development efforts.
- Engage in collaborative efforts to revitalize downtown Canton and contribute to the strength of the region’s urban core.
- Work with developers, investors and businesses interested in locating or expanding commercial interests in the region.
- Manage the Chamber’s “Cultivating Growth” program, raising funds to support the organization’s economic development efforts.
- Represent the Chamber on various boards and committees and attend meetings focused on economic development efforts.
- Act consistent with the highest standard of ethics, integrity and propriety, serving as an effective and respected representative of the Chamber in all contexts.
- Embrace a commitment to advancing diversity, equity and inclusion in the Chamber’s workforce, education and economic development and programs, initiatives and work.
- Collaborate with colleagues across the Chamber organization and the region to provide expertise, support and coordination, as appropriate.
- Ensure the President & CEO and Chamber board receive regular information and reports on workforce, education and economic development activity, opportunities, risks and outcomes.
- Provide support, as needed, to colleagues to ensure the achievement of the Chamber’s annual business plan goals and long-term strategic objectives.
CLICK HERE to submit your resume.
Salary Range or Hourly Rate